We labeled this one “meat” and sweet potato skillet because sometimes we use ground venison, sometimes we use beef, sometimes we use lamb . . . it just depends. This one-skillet dish takes the meat of your choosing, a bunch of flavorful spices, and makes for great comfort food. If you feel a need for some green veggies to go with this, try our Broccoli Salad or a simple sauté of spinach with garlic.
SERVES 6 TO 8 / PREP TIME: 10 MINUTES / TOTAL TIME: 25 MINUTES
2 tablespoons coconut oil
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium onion, diced
2 pounds ground meat (beef, venison, turkey, chicken, or pork)
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
1. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of the coconut oil and once hot, add the sweet potatoes, garlic, and onion and brown the potatoes on all sides until they begin to soften, about 8 minutes. Remove to a plate.
2. Add 1 tablespoon oil to the skillet. Add the meat and cook until browned. Use a wooden spoon to break up the meat into small bits as it cooks.
3. Once the meat is cooked, return the sweet potatoes to the skillet and stir in the paprika, oregano, cumin, salt, and pepper. Taste and adjust the seasoning to your preference.
VARIATIONS: Try some parsnips, diced butternut squash, kohlrabi, or any variety of sweet potatoes.
Creamy Shrimp with Vegetables
Even though this is a creamy dish, the fact that it involves zucchini, shrimp, spinach, and lemon makes for a surprisingly light—but filling—one-dish supper. Don’t have shrimp or don’t like crustaceans? Opt for chicken or scallops instead.
SERVES 3 TO 4 / PREP TIME: 10 MINUTES / TOTAL TIME: 20 MINUTES
2 tablespoons fat (ghee, butter, or coconut oil)
2 leeks, white and light green parts, halved lengthwise then sliced crosswise
1 clove garlic, minced
1 pound peeled and deveined shrimp
Grated zest of 1 lemon
2 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and then sliced crosswise into half-moons
¼ cup chicken stock, store-bought or homemade
½ cup heavy cream or full-fat coconut milk
8 cups spinach
Salt and black pepper
1. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the fat and when hot, add the leeks and sauté until the leeks are softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté a minute more.
2. Add the shrimp and lemon zest and cook until the shrimp are pink and mostly cooked, about 4 minutes.
3. Stir in the zucchini, stock, cream, and spinach. Cover and cook, stirring a few times, until the spinach has cooked down, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
VARIATION: Mix in some ginger and mushrooms and omit the lemon zest, and this dish comes close to a Chinese stir-fry dish.